Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Vacation Spot - New York City

A. Where are you planning to take youre vacation? New York City
B. Why did you choose this place? Because I like New York.
C. When will you be leaving and coming back? Leaving Monday, July 21; Returning Monday, July 28
D. Who will be travelling with you? My mom and dad
E. Which airline will you be using? United Airlines
F. How much is the airfare for a round trip? How long is the flight?
$877 per person; 1hr 2min going there, 1hr 24min coming back
G. Compare 3 different airlines and list their names and the airfare.
United Airlines: $877 per person
US Airways: $897 per person
Delta Air Lines: $887 per person
H. List 2 hotels that you are interested in staying in, and explain why.
The New York Helmsley Hotel: I liked this hotel because it is a 4-star hotel in East Midtown with a number of amenitites. It has also gotten great reviews.
The Peninsula New York: I liked this hotel because it has a great location. It is located directly on Fifth Avenue, and is near many other attractions, including the Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Times Square, Resturant Row, the Theater District, Bryant Park, Grand Central, etc. It has also gotten great reviews.
I. Which hotel did you select? I selected the the Peninsula New York because it has such a great location.
J. How much per night will the hotel cost? $1,500.00
K. What are the hotel reviews/ratings? Rating: 4.8 out of 5
"I loved this place. The rooms were unbelievably quiet and comfortable...it was very romantic with all the mood lighting and ... the touch pad controls for the radio in every room. I would definitely go back again. "
"The Peninsula is a first-class hotel in a great location when your doing business in mid-town. The staff is very helpful and ... professional. My room was spacious (when compared to some other mid-town hotels) and well appointed. The spa is a great escape. Although a little expensive, the extra costs are well worth it in my opinion. "
L. What type of hotel room are you getting?
A luxurious "executive suite" with 1 king bed, a living room, a fax machine, a 42-inch plasma TV, a stereo, and a window with a city view. (725sqft)


M. How much do you estimate you will spend on food for the entire trip?
($150/day)(7 days)=$1050
N. List 3 resturants in that city that you might want to visit.
Bice Ristorante (Italian, East Midtown)
La Masseria (Italian, West Midtown)
Arabelle (French, Upper East Side)
O. How much will the entire trip cost to you? $11,550

Seriously though - flying from Philadelphia to New York? $877? Over an hour, plus two hours at the airport, plus and hour in travel time to/from the airports?
No thanks. I'll take the train.



$327 round trip for all of us
1hr 31min going there, 1hr 24min coming back
Onboard amenities: snack car
Plus, I don't have to travel to/from the airports, and get to the departing airport 2 hours in advance. Much quicker, much more convienent, much more direct.

Just in case you were thinking of driving, here are directions:

View Larger Map

But you have to be crazy if you want to drive and park in New York.

So, in summary, my travel choice is the train, and my hotel choice is the Peninsula New York.


No comments: